When I began to read this book it seemed to be a walk through memory lane. However, for those who did not experience these years, Brinckman provides a fair picture of how Japan seemed to a sympathetic foreigner.ns2.rootguards.com/potu-www-je.php
Showa Japan: The Post-War Golden Age and Its Troubled Legacy - Hans Brinckmann - Google Книги
There are few new insights but the ground has been well trodden by others. I found the second half of the book which looks at the post-bubble years and the challenges facing Japan today more interesting, because it raises fundamental questions about how Japan may develop in the twenty-first century. He asks what has happened to the dreams and ambitions of the young and the tendency to acquiesce in what is prescribed by those in authority.
Before reaching this depressing conclusion Brinckman reiterates a number of criticisms of Japanese ways which have been made by others including another Netherlander Ian Buruma. There is plenty of food for thought by the Japanese in this book, but they are unlikely to read it. Today, the term Showa is shorthand for a glamorous period in which, all too briefly, Japan was the richest nation on earth and the envy of the developed world.
A growing nostalgia for this period is now memorialized in Japan in a national holiday.
- Your browser is outdated.
- The Voice of the Soul: A Journey Into Wisdom and the Physics of God!
- Book Review: Showa Japan: The Post-War Golden Age and Its Troubled Legacy - Sir Hugh Cortazzi, .
- Obama 2012 Slogans Rewritten?
- Minuet in F Major, K5.
It was an era of stratospheric growth which saw Japan's transition from an isolated, impoverished nation to a peaceful one holding an exalted position as the world's second largest economy. But what is the true meaning of the Showa era, and what is its legacy for the Japanese today? In Showa Japan , Hans Brinckmann provides a clear-eyed exploration of the Showa period as it really was—not just a time of wondrous change but of wild excesses that would eventually come crashing down with the bursting of Japan's economic bubble—exactly as occurred in the rest of the world, but almost 20 years earlier!
From the heights of extravagance to the lean years that followed, Brinkmann, a long-time resident of Japan, examines the impact of the Showa era and its aftermath on every aspect of Japanese society. Featuring dozens of period photographs, interviews, and a wealth of factual information and personal reflections, this book provides an in-depth portrait of a Japan that once was—as well as a blueprint for one that might still be, if only the lessons of the past could be learned.
Tokyo from Edo to Showa Whispering Winds of Change.
Showa Japan: the Post-War Golden Age and Its Troubled Legacy
Japan - Culture Smart! How to Change the World. Shutting Out the Sun. Japan In World History. A Short History of Japan. A Very Short Introduction.
- Vintage Car Wrecks Motoring Mishaps 1950-1979;
- The Historical Development of Food Regimes and Their Influence on the World’s Economy.
- Articles, Offers & Useful Resources.
- The Sinners of Erspia!
- Still believe in... (German Edition).
- Showa Japan: the Post-War Golden Age and Its Troubled Legacy - Japan Today.
- Smal Business Marketing Secrets Revealed.
How Soon is Now. Confucius Lives Next Door. Japan's Cultural Code Words. Boye Lafayette De Mente. Life in the Universe. Creating a Post-Corporate World.
In the Realm of a Dying Emperor. The Soul of a Nation. Japan - Your guide to the culture and customs of the Japanese people.
Coffee Life in Japan. Belief Orientations behind the Great Recession. A Cultural and Literary History.
Notes from the Edge Times. How to Ace the Wave of Change. The new Asian century. Japan in Transformation, Origins of the Mind.
Join Kobo & start eReading today
Japanese A Cultural Portrait. Japan History, and Early Development. A Guide to Traditions, Customs and Etiquette. A History of Popular Culture in Japan. Peasants, Rebels, Women, and Outcastes.
- Guidebook to the LEED Certification Process: For LEED for New Construction, LEED for Core and Shell, and LEED for Commercial Interiors (Wiley Series in Sustainable Design).
- HISTORIAS PARA IMAGINAR (Spanish Edition);
- Discovering Gods Grace: Study Guide.
- Molecular Biology in Plant Pathogenesis and Disease Management:: Disease Development, Volume 2?
- Refine your editions:.
- #0382 SOFIE BOOTTEES VINTAGE KNITTING PATTERN (Single Patterns).
Only Two Ways Left. An International Learning Community in Japan. Practical Ethics for Our Time. Modern Girls on the Go. Lao Zi Philosophy of Liberal Government.